043 703 6300

Chris Hani District Municipality cooperatives score big from R91 million agroprocessing initiatives

Apr 22, 2014

Ten primary cooperatives in the Ncorha Irrigation Scheme in Cofimvaba have become the first beneficiaries of a R91 million agro-processing initiative managed by the Eastern Cape Rural Development Agency (ECRDA) and the Eastern Cape Development Corporation (ECDC).The initiative comes after the announcement of the DBSA Jobs Fund on February 2011. The Jobs Fund was successfully launched in June 2011 by Finance minister PravinGordhan and an amount of R9 billion Rand was set aside to be allocated over a three year period.

“Subsequently, the Jobs Fund allocated a total of R91 million over a three year period to the ECRDA and ECDC for the implementation of the agro-processing/trading post initiative. This cash injection has resulted in 955 hectares (ha) being planted after the cooperatives set aside 1 000 ha of their land for the cultivation of white maize for the benefit of 706 beneficiaries who are the landowners. The Ncorha Irrigation Scheme is 5000ha in extent, with 3000ha under irrigation, whilst the remaining 2000ha is dry land.

“The Jobs Fund contributed 80% of the funds while the remaining 20% is split equally between the implementing agents.There are 10 villages surrounding the scheme and villages have been organised to structure the management of the scheme into a Producers Assembly where each village is represented. A milling plant will be established where the processing of the maize crop will be done, silos will be built and mechanization units will be established in the form of tractors and related equipment,” says ECRDA chief executive ThoziGwanya.

Gwanya says the initiative is managed along the ECRDAs RED Hub concept which prioritises the village as the centre of operation. The concept links three market elements of production, processing and marketing to boost the competitiveness of rural economies and communities. The result is that production receives the market support it needs to flourish and money is kept ‘alive’ and circulates within a community as long as possible.

“In practice, the RED Hub concept means that maize should be grown by the community, milled in the community, processed and packaged in the community and even sold back into the community with the whole process being owned by these communities,” Gwanya explains.

He says these market elements make up the value chain of the rural economy with coordination, integration and marketing being the core functions of the RED Hub. Ultimately, this concept creates a platform for economic activity resulting in increased rural incomes through the facilitation of primary production, promoting rural savings, investment, processing as well as the creation of a communal and external market.

Phumzile Boyani, chairman of the Ncorha/Qhumanci Producers Assembly Secondary Assembly around which the 10 cooperatives are organised, says once the yield is determined after the harvest, the scheme will decide how much should go back to the landowners.

“This is usually between 5 – 10% of the yield and the rest is sold to the market. Revenues generated from the sale of the maize goes back into planting for the new season and to add extra hectares. The committees of the primary cooperatives manage the funds and decide with the communities how it is to be used,” says Boyani.

About Us

Vision and mission of the ECRDA

Guiding Principles

The values that underpin the
vision and mission of ECRDA


ECRDA’s policy and legislative mandates

Organisational Structure

The leadership structure of

Board of Directors

Board charged with guiding the ECRDA’s overall plans


The leadership team that ensure execution of the boards plans


Farmers are supported so that they can effectively compete in the global market place.

Cannabis and Hemp

Promoting the growth and development of the cannabis and hemp industry.

Forestry Development

A strong community focus.

Marine Tilapia Industry

Development of a thriving marine tilapia industry.

Wool and Mohair

Developing competitiveness of small-scale farmers.

Rural Finance

Finance that stimulates vibrant rural economic activity.